This is the essential Music Together® class, one that a child can attend from birth through age five through all nine song collections. This basic class follows the recommendations of child development researchers—grouping children of a variety of ages because this fosters natural, family-style learning. Younger children enjoy watching and imitating older ones; older children learn by leading younger ones; and adults are happy because the children in the family can go to class together. Each child participates at his or her own level in singing, moving, chanting, listening, watching, or exploring musical instruments. Any caregivers—parents, grandparents, nanny—can bring the children. The whole family is welcome for this important family music experience.
Babies Class (birth to 8 mos)
Every child's development benefits from early exposure to music and movement. Because the early months are so important, Music Together offers two options for babies. Babies eight months and younger at the time of registration may attend a Mixed Ages Class, whether registered on their own or attending free with an older brother or sister. Babies may also take the special “Babies Class” offered as a one-semester introduction to Music Together. (This class cannot be repeated.) The music activities and materials are specially designed for parents who want to learn as much as possible about music development in babies. Meet other parents and caregivers of newborns and learn some fascinating music activities you can recreate at home with your baby.
This is a mixed age class but since it's held in the evening, feel free to bring your child dressed in their PJ's! Feed them an early supper, come share in some fun music-making, and end the day on a musical note as you and your child return home in time for bed.
Pre-Rhythm Kids (4-5 year olds)
Pre-Rhythm Kids is the next musical step for your preschool child (ages 4–5) with a parent or caregiver. Each week we drum, sing, dance, play rhythm instruments, and begin to play music-based games. Rhythm Kids 4-5 guides children toward developmentally appropriate music and movement activities, where they can begin to take charge, lead others, and be musically creative, as they:
• make up their own drumming patterns;
• invent new ways to play rhythm instruments (shakers, sticks, etc.);
• create movement ideas for songs;
• and even take a drum solo!
Pre-Rhythm Kids follows through on the Music Together® vision to help children complete the pathway of early childhood music development from birth through age eight.
Classes are for preschoolers ages 4–5 and include:
• 10 weekly, 45-minute classes
• Animal Collection Songbook and 2 CDs each semester
• Access to online drum-play videos and other material
Your child will:
• Explore the world of rhythm through movement, instrument play, and song
• Develop basic rhythm skills, like keeping beat, improvising, ensemble play, and soloing
• Learn to create, cooperate, and express themselves musically
Pre-Rhythm Kids tuition covers the cost of a good-quality, appropriately-sized djembe drum which your child will receive at their first class. Your child can bring their drum to class each week and keep it with them between classes for at-home play!
Rhythm Kids (grades K-2)
Rhythm Kids is an exciting music, movement, and drumming class for children in Kindergarten through second grade (ages 5 through 8). Children integrate and assimilate rhythm into their lives, as they:
• learn multicultural drumming patterns;
• develop new repertoire on various percussion instruments;
• explore movement and dance while singing songs;
• play games based on music and drumming;
• have fun with a host of rhythm activities.
Rhythm Kids follows through on the Music Together® vision to help children complete the pathway of early childhood music development from birth through age 8. As part of the Rhythm Kids experience, children and their grownups can enjoy drumming play and practice sessions at home with the help of online play-along videos featuring Rhythm Kids creator Tom Foote.
Classes are for children K–2 (ages 5 through 8) and include:
• 10 weekly, 45-minute classes
• Animal Collection Songbook and CDs (2 copies) each semester
• Access to online video tutorials and play-alongs
• Learn, create, discover and explore music, movement and drumming
• Enjoy age-appropriate ways to play rhythm instruments (shakers, tambourines, etc.)
• Explore traditional drumming patterns through animal names and movements
• Experience drumming, song, and dance from around the world (Mali, Puerto Rico,
• Find new ways to connect mind, body, and voice through rhythm
• Develop skill in improvising, soloing, conducting, composition, and improvisation
• Participate in active musical games that are both enriching and totally fun!
Rhythm Kids tuition covers the cost of a good-quality, appropriately-sized djembe drum which your child will receive at their first class. Your child can bring their drum to class each week and keep it with them between classes for at-home play!